18 Wheeler Accidents
18-wheeler and charter bus accidents can cause tremendous damage. When an accident involves an 18-wheeler, bus, dump truck, emergency vehicle or other large truck, there is usually significant property damage and serious injuries or even death.
Many factors contribute to accidents involving 18-wheelers, including overloaded freight, driver fatigue, speed, or substance abuse. Trucking companies frequently dispatch tractor-trailers on tight schedules that cause the truck drivers to operate their trucks for unreasonably long periods of time at high rates of speed. This only increases their danger to ordinary drivers like you. Should you be forced to deal with an 18-wheeler accident, you may need Houston 18 Wheeler Accident Attorneys.
These trucking companies and their drivers have a specialized set of rules and regulations they must follow. Unfortunately for those who have been hurt by one of these 18-wheelers, these trucking companies usually have large insurance policies that they are willing to protect without regard to the cost. If you are on your own and without an attorney, it can be overwhelming. Houston 18 Wheeler Accident Attorneys can help you.
If you don’t have an 18 wheeler accident attorney, here are some tips for handling a 18 wheeler or bus accident:
- Do not say anything (i.e. apologize, admit it was your fault)
- Report the accident
- See a doctor
- Call your insurance agent as soon as possible
- Review and understand your insurance coverage
- Take detailed notes of all conversations
- Consider your other insurance policies (such as homeowners and credit card policies)
- Take pictures
- Be honest and forthcoming
- Understand the difference between depreciated and replacement insurance coverage
- Keep all receipts for meals, lodging, purchases made in connection with the claim
- Do not give any recorded/written statements to the insured
- Avoid automatically accepting the estimates of your losses given by the insurer
- Do not sign any releases or waivers
- Do not accept any check that states “final payment” unless you are ready to do so
- Do not ignore policy time limits
Truck Accident Lawyer Houston
If you have been hurt by one of these large highway vehicles, we understand that you are suffering and we know that you require immediate financial help. You will need an aggressive attorney that knows how to vigorously pursue your rights in order to maximize your recovery. At the Ogletree Abbott Law Firm, we have the knowledge, experience and resources to help you. Call us today at 1-800-779-4950. Or, if you prefer, email us at Info@Ogletreeabbott.com or complete the online evaluation and we will contact you right away. Call today and let us be your Houston 18-Wheeler Accident Attorneys.