Looking for a Prozac Lawyer?
You are here trying to gain information on Prozac and Prozac attorneys for one of the following reasons:
1. Your newborn has a birth defect and you think Prozac use could be the culprit.
2. You are currently pregnant using Prozac and recently heard that your unborn baby could be at risk.
3. You are considering becoming pregnant and are wondering if you should stop using Prozac.
Whichever category you fall under, we can help you.
What is Prozac?
Prozac is a drug from a group of medications known as SSRIs, or Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitors. Basically, when taken they will boost the brain’s serotonin levels. This helps to regulate moods as well as sleep and appetite. They are used to treat all sorts of disorders including:
- Various eating disorders
- Obessessive-compulsive disorder
- Panic disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- And much more
Also found in the generic form, fluoxetine, Prozac was approved by the Food and Drug Administration in 1998. It quickly became the widest prescribed anti-depressant in the country, even becoming the focus of movies like Prozac Nation.
Interestingly enough, 2 years before the drug was ever approved, The New England Journal of Medicine came forth with a study that stated that women who used Prozac during pregnancy were two times more likely to produce a child with minor birth defects than a woman who did not use the antidepressant. Yet this warning went unheeded by the FDA and many doctors. Why?
Aside from all the birth defects being linked to Prozac usage, the drug has been in question in the past for all sorts of other side effects. These range from suicidal thoughts to violent tendencies to decrease bone strength. Hundreds of Prozac lawsuits have been filed for the above side effects and more — some successful and some not.
What does this mean to you? Prozac is currently under great scrutiny. And with new information coming out often specifically dealing with birth defects, the time to look into filing a Prozac lawsuit is now.
Prozac Use Can Affect Your Unborn Baby’s Heart
Evidence is mounting that Prozac is likely to harm your newborn’s heart. First, a 2005 Danish study made known that pregnant Prozac users increased the risk of their newborns developing congenital heart problems– by 60 percent, to be exact. Another study, the Diav-Citrn Study, showed that Prozac usage increases the chances by as much as 4 and a half times.
What sort of heart problems are we talking about? Major ones. The main two that use of the drug will put your baby at risk for are as follows:
- Atrial Septical Defects (ASD) — A hole develops in the upper heart wall, causing blood to flow between the left and right atria. This can result in all sorts of long term problems for your child.
- Ventricular Septical Defects (VSD) — A hole in the ventricles allows blood to flow from the left to right ventricle. This oxygenated blood gets pumped to the lungs. The result may be an enlarged, overworked heart.
Keep in mind, while we cannot take away the pain and injury that Prozac may have caused your child, we can still help you financially when you hire us to represent you in a Prozac lawsuit.
Prozac Increases the Risk of Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension of the Newborn (PPHN)
Not long ago, The New England Journal of Medicine made public the results of a study that linked Prozac to increased odds of PPHN. This condition causes:
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Right-to-left extrapulmonary shunting of blood
- Respiratory distress
The FDA responded not long after by issuing a warning reflecting the newfound, troublesome data. However, this warning was too late for many people. If you or a loved one is one of these mothers, then you are in need of a Prozac lawyer now.
National Birth Defects Prevention Study of Infants Says Prozac Causes Two More Congenital Defects
As if the above birth defects were not bad enough, the National Birth Defects Prevention Study of Infants released their own information connecting Prozac use with two more abnormalities in infants:
- Omphalocele — Much like an umbilical hernia, the infant will have a sac protruding from the belly button containing various organs such as small and large intestines and the liver.
- Craniosynostosis — This condition causes abnormal head shapes as the sutures in the skull close too quickly.
Who knows if these are the only other birth defects Prozac can cause? The fact is—the drug is dangerous to take during pregnancy.
A Prozac Attorney Can Help You
We understand that if you took Prozac during your pregnancy, you are under an extreme amount of stress right now. Your child may have been born with a potentially serious birth defect, and you are wondering who to blame. Don’t blame yourself. Keep in mind, you had no way of knowing that your child was at risk. All you wanted was to ease the anxiety of your pregnancy and to produce a healthy baby. After all, cutting the use of Prozac cold turkey is potentially dangerous too.
However, while you should not hold yourself liable, you should blame Prozac, or more specifically, the makers or someone who knowingly prescribed it to you. That is where the Ogletree Abbot Law Firm can assist you. We will:
- Meet with you and determine if you have a case. We will do so by listening to your story, looking at physician diagnoses, and more. Of course, this initial meeting is free of charge.
- Plan for your Prozac lawsuit. We are extremely thorough during this process. We will work hard to build a solid case to maximize any settlement you may be entitled to.
- Fight for you with great aggression. We handle each and every case the same way—to win. That means we file your Prozac lawsuit and do not rest until we see it through to the end.
Along the way, we will treat you with the individualized attention we know you deserve. After all, you are going through a difficult time right now and your wellbeing is our number one concern.
Why You Should Let Us Represent You
At this point, you know you stand to benefit from filing a Prozac lawsuit. But let’s be honest here: we know we are not the only Prozac attorney firm in the area. So why hire us?
Dangerous pharmaceuticals are our specialty—At the Ogletree Abbott Law Firm, we handle all sorts of dangerous drug related cases. From Prozac to Topamax to Zoloft—if you have been injured due to prescribed use of any drug, we will do our very best to help.
When you choose us, you choose experience—When you hire us, you are not getting a Prozac lawyer who is using you as a guinea pig for his first case. No, our lawyers have been practicing law and honing their craft for years. That means they know how to successfully navigate their way through your lawsuit.
We care about you and your child—Our hearts go out to the parents and children unexpectedly hurt by these drugs. And for that, we believe someone should pay. We know it is not fair and we will do our very best to use our great Justice System to make things right for you.
In short, when you enlist the aid of one of our Prozac attorneys, you will get someone who will put every ounce of their energy into obtaining the settlement you deserve.
Discuss Your Prozac Lawsuit Right Now
You can ease the anxiety you are feeling. Let us represent you and help you receive monetary retribution for your child’s birth defect. Call us right now by dialing 713-223-1234 or 800-779-4950 and get connected to an experienced Prozac Lawyer!